The Opening Dates are coming up soon for the 2010 Squirrel & Archery Deer season. This school is full of avid hunters, and the contest begins for the biggest begins. Bow hunting is one popular hobby and they’re plenty of bucks out there waiting. Hunters need to remember the rate of hunting in Southern West Virginia is growing by the minute, and with that, hunters need to take precaution. Remember to wear bright orange and be sure of your target and what's beyond it.
Squirrel Hunting is a common tradition for men in this area, and many are anxious to get out in the woods at the break of dawn. With the recent shortening of game in the area, the art of squirrel hunting had been lost, but now it is back. These woods are now full of food and the beeches are full of with critters. So, get out there, and get that kill that wants to be known around the state.
Also, every young adult should look into taking the Hunter Education Program. If interested contact: Lt. Tim Coleman of Charleston, WV 304 558-2784 or go online to www.wvdnr.gov.
The Ten Commandments of Gun Safety
1. Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
2. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
3. Be sure of your target and what's beyond it.
4. Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions.
5. Unload firearms when not in use.
6. Never point a firearm at anything you don't want to shoot.
7. Never climb a fence or tree or jump a ditch with a loaded firearm.
8. Never shoot a bullet at a flat, hard surface or water.
9. Store firearms and ammunition separately.
10. Avoid alcoholic beverages and other mind altering drugs before and during shooting.
Opening Day of Archery-Deer Season: October 16 − December 31
Opening Day for Squirrel Season: October 1 – January 31